Pages

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Malone On Marlo


My wonderful wife purchased the new Malone on Marlo DVD set for me as an early Father's Day present this year. Let me tell you: the set is awesome! If you're even mildly interested in card magic, this is something you will definitely want to pick up. There were plenty of items that I immediately added to my arsenal. Bill Malone did a great job of representing Marlo material and there really is something for everyone. The items range from the self-working to tricks that require advanced sleight of hand.

Of course, Bill performs it all flawlessly. His performances are high energy and completely entertaining. However, the real treat are the explanations where Bill not only clearly describes what you just saw performed but also a bunch of alternate handlings, ideas, and even a few extra effects. There were so many little things thrown into the explanation portions that you may want to take notes or at least give the set a second go through.

I consider myself a well-read magician, but there were quite a few effects that were completely new to me. Others I was aware of, but Malone definitely brought them back to my attention. Here are just a few of my favorites:

Open Prediction- This is by far the best ungaffed method I've seen for this venerable plot. It looks so clean and it's dead easy.

Think Touch Turn- This was included on Bill's first set with L&L Publishing, On The Loose, and it has been a real worker for me ever since.

Miracle Ace Cutting- This is a Marlo classic that you probably already perform. If not, you should: it's one of the most legitimate looking Ace cutting sequences around.

A Comedy Classic- A super commercial routine with a built in comedy finish that will blow your audience away.

Leipzig Would Have Loved This- I'll let the video speak for itself. I really liked this one.


An Unexpected Prediction- This one is fun for both the performer and the audience. It's based on Vernon's Trick That Cannot Be Explained, but it has a little structure that makes it much more workable for those new to the plot.

Mental Reverse- This is real fooler. The spectator "thinks" of a card from a small packet. The cards are fairly lost in the deck. The spectator names their card and it is immediately found reversed in the center.

Logical Faced Triumph- This is just one of a handful of routines that really "got me" at first. There are plenty of times in the set where you'll swear the move is getting ready to take place only to realize that it's already done. Here's a quick performance:


It has often been said that Marlo's material wasn't commercial, but I would defy anyone to make that claim after watching this set.

-Available from www.VanishingIncMagic.com

1 comment:

  1. I picked this about a month ago after I had purchased a few Marlo DVDs and I love it. I can't believe that I have been basically ignoring Marlo's material for all these years. This is a great set and a number of the effects will be finding their way into my repertoire.

    ReplyDelete