Pages

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Storytelling Through Dance

The art of storytelling is something that has always interested me. Obviously, this is a big reason why I am such a fan of movies and theater. But it was also the storytelling that drew me to professional wrestling when I was a child. More than the spectacular slams, the stories are what kept me a fan for all of these years.

More recently, I've been turned on to storytelling through dance. This is in large part to Fox's So You Think You Can Dance that is currently in it's fifth season. The program showcases dancers from all backgrounds and disciplines performing every genre of dance imaginable. I began watching back in season one with my wife. At first, I only really enjoyed the flashy hip-hop routines. Now, however, I have a real appreciation for every type of dance I see. My favorites, though, tell a story. Nowhere is this better exemplified than this routine which aired last week.

The dance (choreographed by Mia Michaels) tells the story of a young addict. Kupono Aweau plays the part of addiction, while Kayla Radomski struggles to free herself from him. It's a very moving and powerful piece that illustrates how performers can tell a story to the audience without uttering a single word.

2 comments:

  1. Mia Michaels is amazing. She's up for an Emmy for last season and I believe she has already won at least one for previous seasons.

    This show makes me tear up out of joy more than any other. Brilliant performances.

    Rich Aviles

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rich, long time no see. I'm glad to hear you're a fan of the show. What does Steve Asher think of it?

    Caleb

    ReplyDelete