Pages

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Tricks in your Wallet

When you're out and about with friends or family, someone will inevitably ask you to show them a trick. While there are tons of impromptu routines in the magic literature, I like to make sure I'm always prepared by stashing away a few cards in my wallet for just this situation.

The first trick I'm always prepared to perform is Max Maven's "B'Wave." This modern classic should be in the repertoire of every magician. It packs small, plays big, and is completely impossible. I'll never forget the first time I saw the routine performed by Eugene Burger. It completely blew me away. Simple, yet powerful. What more could you ask for?

The second routine I carry is an ungaffed version of Marin Lewis' "Sidewalk Shuffle." The idea has been attributed to many performers including Michael Ammar, Louis Falanga, and John Luka. Antony Gerard is often unnamed even though he independently devised the routine before the other published versions. Again, the effect is simple, easy to follow, and delivers a huge impact.

So what tricks are you always prepared to perform?
 

2 comments:

  1. I love B'Wave and saw Eugene Burger perform it at a Mystery School in Amsterdam. Brilliant!

    I've never performed Sidewalk Shuffle but I'm going to take your advice and check out the various versions available. Is the ungaffed your own version or can you point me to the version you use?

    Cheers

    Stuart

    ReplyDelete
  2. Probably the easiest place to find a description is in Michael Ammar's Easy To Master Card Miracles Vol. 5. It's called the Virginia City Shuffle.

    ReplyDelete